Appendix 2 – You said, we did
Insights from stakeholders around key challenges.
Over the course of nine months, frequent challenges we encountered when supporting and advising PCNs and workforce leads include:
- Recruitment, retention and support- where to recruit, who to recruit, competencies, minimum standards and regulation, retention and career progression.
- Working in systems at multiple levels across practice, PCN, ICS, neighbourhood level, community organisation- ways of working, partnership and leadership, co-production, referral pathways, community development.
- Workload and wellbeing- supporting PCN CDs/managers with queries on contract, funding and targets, and supporting the personalised care workforce on queries around supervision, caseload, risk escalation/safety, wellbeing initiatives and support networks.
- Identifying unmet need- identifying underserved and at-risk cohorts, methods of engagement, accessing data and intelligence
- Measuring impact and evaluation outcomes.
Three feedback sessions on co-producing the toolkit with approximately 50 participants highlighted the priorities for the toolkit:
- Recognising the need to highlight how personalised care is intrinsically linked to health inequalities and making the link between social determinants of health and role of primary care more explicit.
- Tips to overcome common challenges.
- Practical tools- use of checklists, case studies, “how to tips”.
- Resources for further training, links to policies and workforce and implementation guidance all in one place for quick access.
- Learn from examples and good practice in the system and suggestions for innovative ways of using the personalised care roles to address health inequalities.