International GP Recruitment
One of the commitments of the General Practice Forward View is to strengthen the workforce through the recruitment to suitably qualified overseas doctors in general practice. NHS in England is recruiting at least 2,000 suitably qualified overseas doctors into GP practices by 2020 through the International GP Recruitment (IGPR) programme. This will initially focus on doctors from the European Economic Area (EEA) whose training is recognised in the UK under European law and who get automatic recognition to join the General Medical Council’s (GMC) GP Register. The programme is being expanded to include doctors from outside the EEA, commencing with Australia, where the GP registration process has been significantly streamlined for those doctors who completed their training after 2011.
Since August 2017, Healthy London Partnership has worked in partnership with NHS England to:
- Define the recruitment, education and training process and have appointed the medical recruitment specialist, Head Medical, to lead the overseas recruitment for GPs. Further information about this process can be found in this document.
- Worked with Head Medical to commence recruitment activities to all five STP areas in London.
- Published prospectuses for prospective candidates in North East London and South East London. North Central, South West and North West will follow shortly. These can be found here. Further information packs will be developed for candidates who are successful in their initial applications, and throughout their recruitment and induction process.
- Set up a regional programme board to oversee the IGPR programme in London, with representation from NHS England, Healthy London Partnership (HLP), the Sustainability and Transformation Partnerships (STPs) and Health Education England (HEE).
- Undertaken two recruitment rounds, with 17 doctors offered a place on the programme. Many of these doctors are in the process of relocating and are expecting to start on the programme early in 2019.
For more information regarding the programme, visit the website.
More information and resources
- NHSE link on prescription eligibility tool