Children and Young People Mental Health Crisis Messaging Toolkit
View the updated communications toolkit for 2022-23 here.
In Summer 2020, senior mental health leads in London agreed that children and young people’s mental health (CYPMH) should be a priority focus of the mental health COVID-19 recovery. As a result, the Healthy London Partnership CYPMH Programme have established a CYPMH COVID-19 Recovery Steering Group, chaired by our two Senior Responsible Officers representing the Cavendish Square Group, Paul Jenkins, Chief Executive Officer at The Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust, and Charlotte Harrison, Medical Director at South West London and St George’s Mental Health NHS Trust. The Steering Group has prioritised the development of consistent communication messages about CYPMH. to link into existing communication channels and community targeted messaging to ensure there is joined up messaging across the system in London.
- During wave 1 of Covid19 referrals to CYP Mental Health Services dropped to 47% of the expected rate.
- There has been a rise in CYP MH presentations to A&E across London despite the availability of all age 24/7 crisis lines that have been established to provide appropriate urgent support.
- There is outdated crisis information online including (signposting to NHS111 over the NHS urgent mental health crisis helplines that should be used.) It is also not always clear that these helplines are available for children and young people, parents and their families.
Whilst specific arrangements and support offers vary across boroughs, this document sets out key messages with supporting assets that will:
- Address barriers to accessing services by building on the ‘your NHS is here for you’ messaging. This will provide assurance to CYP and their families that CAMHS services are open and safe from Covid.
- Promote all age 24/7 crisis lines and provide clear and consistent messaging on how to seek help in a crisis.
What is included in the toolkit: to cascade key messages during wave 2 of Covid19.
- Children and Young People Mental Health and Crisis messaging
- A selection of social media images for specific posts
- How to change supporting images according to the organisation/ industry: logo, CYP crisis number, hashtag
- Downloadable PowerPoint document for all images and content: images targeted CYP and images targeted for the parents/carers looking after the young people.